Shopska salata is a traditional Bulgarian salad originated by the Shopi people of the Sofia region, and hence the name "shopska."
There are slight variations from family to family but the basic ingredients for this refreshing salad, served year-round, are the same.
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large cucumer, unpeeled and chopped
- 4 green or red peppers, roasted or raw, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped, or 6 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup Bulgarian sirene cheese or feta cheese, crumbled
- Place tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, onion and parsley in a large bowl and toss.
- Place oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste in a screw-top jar. Cover and shake until well blended.
- Toss dressing with vegetables, turn into a serving bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve. Top with crumbled cheese and portion on chilled plates.